- Beef, lean cuts and lean ground round or sirloin
- Chicken or turkey breasts, skinless and boneless
- Ground turkey or chicken
- High Omega-3 fish; herring, mackerel, salmon, trout, tuna
- Pork tenderloin trimmed of fat, Tofu
When your favorite fruits and veggies are out of season, choose frozen ones for nutritious desserts, side dishes and snacks. Choose fruits without added sugar, such as, frozen blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries. Vegetables and vegetable blends, without added sauce, gravy or sodium are good choices. Look for frozen soybeans.
Beans and whole grains offer fiber to help lower your cholesterol. Choose from this list of beans, grains, soups and sauces.
- Beans, canned reduced-sodium assortment of black beans, garbanzo, kidney, navy and pinto, also dried beans
- Broth, reduced-sodium chicken, beef, or vegetable
- Cereals, whole grain
- Flaxseed, ground or whole
- Flour, whole wheat
- Oat bran
- Rolled oats
- Pasta sauce, low fat or fat-free
- Pasta, whole grain wheat
- Rice, brown or wild
- Soups, low sodium and fat-free
- Soy flour
- Tomato paste
- Tomatoes, whole or diced, reduced sodium
- Vegetarian or nonfat refried beans
Visit my Nutrition page at Debra Baker Fit for low calorie recipes. In my next blog, I will focus on heart-healthy condiments, oil, and yes, snacks.