- Barbeque sauce, low-sodium
- Ketchup, reduced sodium
- Mayonnaise, reduced fat or nonfat
- Mustards: whole grain, honey, Dijon, yellow
- Soy sauce, reduced sodium
- Vinegars: rice, red wine, balsamic, apple cider, raspberry; these make delicious salad dressings
Snacks: Stock your pantry with nuts, dried fruit, and whole wheat products for snacks and meals.
Spices vs. Salt: Too much salt drives up your blood pressure, instead, add flavor with zesty spices and herbs,
Sweeteners: Cut down on sugar. It's full of calories that will pack on pounds. Instead, satisfy your sweet tooth with healthier options -- although the less you use of any sweeteners, the better.
- Brown rice syrup for a sweetening alternative in baking
- Honey (in moderation)
- Sugar-free or light maple syrup